In recognition of his contribution to accounting and research, Professor Robin Jarvis received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA) at the annual conference in April 2013.
The British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA) is the working name of the British Accounting Association which was established in 1947. It is a UK learned society which brings together those interested in teaching and research in accounting and finance.
Robin is a Professor in Accounting at Brunel Business School and brings specialist professional and academic expertise. After many years as Head of SME Affairs at the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, he is now their special advisor. He also plays a key role on a large number of international advisory panels and working groups. Robin is the third member of the Accounting and Auditing Research Centre (AARC) to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award and joins Professor Len Skerratt and Professor Mike Page in the Brunel hall of fame.
Prof Jarvis holds membership of a number of Advisory Panels and Working Groups:
- International Accounting Standards Board (IASB): Advisory Panel on financial reporting by small and medium-sized entities and in emerging and transition economies 2003 -2009
- UK Treasury Working Group : access to finance for SMEs
- European Reporting Advisory Group (EFRAG) – Supervisory Board, Member; Nominating Committee, and SME Working Group
- International Federations of Accountants (IFAC) – Small Medium Size Practices Committee. Chair SME Financial Reporting Task Force.
- UEAPME – Economic and Fiscal Committee
- Federation Des Experts Comptables Europeens -SME Working Party
- Council Member of the Institute of Small Business and Entrepreneurship
He also sits on editorial boards of the following Research Journals:
- International Small Business Journal, Sage Publications
- Strategic Change: Briefings in Entrepreneurial Finance, Wiley
- Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development
- International Journal of Business Excellence
Prof Jarvis has contributed to the development of the MSc in Accounting and Business Management led by Dr Jill Collins. The programme will be commencing in September 2014. It offers students an opportunity to:
- Develop an appreciation of the role of accounting within the overall function of management
- Acquire technical accounting skills and integrate theoretical and conceptual considerations with practice
- Evaluate the principles and theories that underpin accounting and management
- Critically reflect on the role of the main stakeholders and the influence of regulatory frameworks on accounting and management
- Develop analytical and problem solving abilities and apply them in making management decisions
- Review research on current issues in accounting and management and apply accepted research methods to investigate a specific research question independently
- Develop transferable skills that will enhance employability.
To find our more about this programme please visit our Postgraduate Study pages.